– Allow your plant’s or tree’s roots to soak in water an hour or two before planting. Do not soak the roots for more than 24 hours (Exception: Mexican pepperleaf, taro, gotu kola and penny wort should be soaked for 3 days). Small plants that are shipped with soil do not need to be soaked.
– Expose plants gradually to sunlight.
– Dig a planting hole that is large enough to accommodate your plant’s current root system with some extra room to grow.
– Spread out the plants roots to encourage outward growth.
– Keep the plant vertical in the planting hole (perpendicular to the ground) so that it grows straight.
– Refill the hole with native soil (what was removed at digging time), and some organic compost.
– Gently tamp out any air pockets from the soil once the planting hole is filled.
– Thoroughly water your plant
– Give your plant some love, sing a song, tell it a story (optional)